For this year’s Frerichs Thanksgiving, we convinced Mike to cook a brisket - He fired up the grill and used this amazing recipe! It received rave reviews from all, (though none of us are tough to please) so we thought we’d share his recipe with you. The only credit we can take on this one is providing a Tjaden Ranch brisket. ☺
Ingredients for the rub:
4 T. chili powder
2 T. sweet paprika
2 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the mop sauce:
2 C. cold brewed coffee
2 C. Texas beer
4 T. brown sugar
2 T. chile powder
2 tsp. garlic salt
1. Mix ingredients for rub and rub on both sides of the brisket.
2. Mix ingredients for the mop sauce and transfer to a spray bottle.
3. Place brisket directly on grill grate and smoke for two hours.
4. Spray the brisket with the mop sauce and transfer to a disposable aluminum foil pan.
5. Increase the temperature on the grill to 275 degrees and continue to cook for 8-10 hours, spraying brisket every hour with the mop sauce.
6. If at any point the brisket appears to be drying out, cover tightly with aluminum foil (discontinue mopping if you do this).
7. When done, the internal temperature of the brisket will be 185 to 190 degrees (anything less nd your brisket will be tough).
8. Let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before carving against the grain into pencil-thick slices.
9. If desired, serve with your favorite BBQ sauce on the side.