Lasagna soup is a perfect alternative when you don’t want to go to the hassle of making lasagna. This recipe is my version – combining a few different recipes that I found online.
Salt & pepper
1 lg. white onion, diced
6 tsp. minced garlic
14.5 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
14.5 oz. crushed tomatoes
6 C. chicken broth
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 T. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried fennel
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
3 cups uncooked farfalle or rotini noodles
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1 C. shredded parmesan cheese
16 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
1. In large pot, season ground beef heavily with salt & pepper and cook until almost browned.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook 3-5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
3. Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, oregano, parsley, fennel, rosemary, red pepper, sugar, salt & pepper. Stir together, bring to a boil and then turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Turn heat to medium. Add noodles and cook until al dente (do not overcook or they will become mushy). Pour soup into oven-proof bowls.
5. Mix ricotta and parmesan cheese together and add two generous dollops of cheese mixture to each soup bowl. Top with a thick slice of fresh mozzarella cheese.
6. Broil in oven until cheese is melted – watch closely!