As with most things, my husband doesn’t like to follow a set of instructions – He prefers to just dive in and experiment until it is right. Cooking is no different and his chicken fried steak recipe is something he has definitely mastered! We came up with the following measurements but you may need to adjust to your liking.
Ingredients for Chicken Fried Steaks:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. McCormick’s All Seasoning Salt
2 tsp. Hooter’s Seasoning Salt
½ tsp. Salt *
1 tsp Pepper
¼ cup milk
½ stick butter
*optional per your liking
Ingredients for White Gravy:
½ cup flour
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
Salt & Pepper
Directions for Chicken Fried Steaks:
1. Mix flour, seasoning salts, pepper and salt together in shallow dish.
2. In separate dish, mix eggs and milk.
3. Melt 2 T. butter in cast-iron skillet on medium-low to medium heat.
4. Dip 2 steaks into flour mixture, then egg mixture and back into flour mixture.
5. Once butter is melted, place steaks in skillet and let cook 7-8 minutes, per side, or until cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 with remaining steaks.
7. Serve with mashed potatoes and top with homemade white gravy.
Directions for White Gravy:
1. Using same pan from the chicken fried steaks, melt butter on low heat.
2. Add flour and stir to a paste.
3. On low to medium heat, slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add salt & pepper. Continue stirring gravy for about 15 minutes, or until it thickens.